Sunday, November 11, 2018

Capitalism Vs Alain de Botton

There's a subject I've been tackling in my head about achieving life goals. I wish to tackle it here so that my mind gets a bit more rest.

I am going to compare and contrast the mindset of achieving goals between Capitalistic Mindsets (Romantic? Idealistic) and Alain de Botton's Seminar on Pessimism.
The Capitalistic world has people working their guts out to reach their materialistic goals, because they believe that is how they'll get love and a perfect life.
To some extent.... I believe it to be true. High achievers (or relatives of them) do have a better quality life (why dismiss that fact?). They're not content with it, but that's a different discussion. Now in our population of 8 Billion people in this world, how many of us would actually be able to reach a content life? It was never a problem before,
1. Because there weren't so many of us before and
2. We didn't have crazy expectations like before Capitalism and consumer culture reached its height.
3.The goal was to survive, being happy was for heaven.

That's what helped create Philosophers such as Alain de Botton, to try and shed light onto what is really going on and how to remoderate the constant discontent and unhappiness as well as the overwhelming pressure of achieving what Capitalism has brought unto us. So yes, I am aware of the necessity of moderation.
However, I am too far into the game to stop. Because going back is a life I do not wish to live. And the dreams I wanted to reach are a grasp away. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for them. I know romantics exaggerate everything but it is also a part of the truth, that constant optimism and trying and retrying achieved wonders... what is the goal of trying to convince otherwise?

I wish I could have a discussion with Alain de Botton on how he proposes the future mindset should be in answer to the Capital mayhem happening today. I cannot stop and be content with what I have because I know it is not what will make me happy. Reaching my goals will make me happy. That is the case with everyone. As long as those goals aren't deluded. And you would be surprised with how humble most people are in everything except in matters of love. We actually do not need much.


I actually always thought there are too many of us anyway.... survival of the fittest happens in other levels aside from the jungle. Communism wanted to put a stop to that so everyone is content. But we all know how that went... I do believe Alain de Botton is doing the world a favor, and he speaks the truth. I am someone who actually believes in the Merit system. Botton's point is that it will never be fair because there will always be those who are undeserving of the merits that they get. I agree, but doesn't that mean we should work harder to eventually outdo them?

This is mind wrecking.... I do not like not having answers. This'll be it for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
It's been a long time. I've gone through life with very little "goals." Mostly just work to be able to have a comfortable life. That I do have today. I'm retired and don't really do much. All I really have now that is precise to me are memories. You are one of those memories.

Sounds like you are in a new stage of your life. All I'll say is try to enjoy the journey so in the end you have pleasant memories.

Always ... Jack

I love this song ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD_p7mwsrsEQM&v=_p7mwsrsEQM

TripleTee said...

Jack,
It's good to see you here and I'm honored that I have a place in your memories. I'm definitely in a completely new stage of my life, old issues do not get on my way anymore. You have as I understand, reached your goals and are content. That's all that matters :) This blog is a sort of outlet I only update every now and then. I never thought anyone would remember, but I'm glad you're here :). You probably know more about how I think than most people near me.