Tuesday, October 17, 2017

A Matter of the Soul

A note to myself.
So as I am not in the mood to finish writing my Term-paper at the moment I thought I'll use the time to write myself a short note. It's my take on what a Soul is and how it functions. Inspired by a book called 'Pandora's Brain' by Calum Chace. I've come to the conclusion that the Soul does not exist as an independent entity. (To some a shock, to others a given)
So the question arised, if this statement were true, what makes us who we are? The answer is it is all in the brain (the most complex organ in the body, for a reason) how we are is decided by our brain, our personalities, reactions, impulses, likes and dislikes...everything. It's all determined by how the neurons in our brain are connected to each other. So if they were to be connected differently we would no longer be us but someone else.

So in short, what does that mean?
It means that these neurons are activated when we're alive and functioning. The moment our organs no longer cooperate, we lose the connection and get deactivated. The electric waves in our brain...the neurons get deactivated too... resulting in our deaths (non-existance)

The bad news is... there is no soul left behind floating... however the good news is... if the connection of the neurons in our brains and the construction of our brain could be copied into a different body...we could be brought back to life. Ofcourse all this is explained in simple terms... it's far more complex than that but I believe I got the gist of it.

Till my next note...

No comments: